Sunday, June 30, 2013

Praise Him in the Storm


I walk by this tree several times a week.  Long walks with my pup are a way to reduce stress.

Each time I walk upon this tree, I stop.  The tree's majestic beauty and the EMPTY BENCH convict me in the moment as to "the aloneness I face while DESPERATELY seeking His majestic PRESENCE ."  I can't tell you how difficult my journey to embody HIS PRESENCE has been. 


I am not here to tell my life story nor to elaborate on my circumstance, but I can say this...  Last night, my husband came home and told me he was being laid off.  I laughingly spouted a thought to the enemy of, "really?"   I had to stop myself from saying, "Satan...you win!"   After a few words of support to my husband, Maggie- my 70 lb. Golden pup and I went for the walk.  As you can imagine, I spent the better half of the first mile over thinking it all.  PLANNING, CONTROLLING, HOLDING IT.  I have spent the better part of my life performing to the audience of the world rather than trusting HIM.  Amidst my personal agony, I rounded the corner to "the hill, headed to the tree."  I found myself saying... "God, I PRAISE you in this storm.  It was an incessant repeat over and over in my head.  Sink my vessel in your ocean of grace."  It was as if I was not at all in control of my own words.    God had used Lisa Kramp with the Proverbs 31 Ministry Group (Melissa Taylor On-Line Bible Studies) that morning to press into my soul with her FB posting...

From Lisa Kramp...."We’re often so anxious to get out of difficult, painful, or challenging situations that we fail to grow through them. We’re so fixated on getting out of them that we don’t get anything out of them. We fail to learn the lessons God is trying to teach us or cultivate the character God is trying to grow in us. We’re so focused on God changing our circumstances that we never allow God to change us! So instead of ten or twenty years of experience, we have one year of experience repeated ten or twenty times."

At that very moment, "God... I will praise You in the storm..." the stillness of a cloudy dark night turned into a brisk wind of cold air- surging at 20 mph pounding my face to breathlessness.  I stopped and lifted my hands to God.    The temperature spiraled downward  from the 70's to what is now 47 degrees in Texas.  I HEARD GOD ... His faithful encounter in THAT MOMENT.  The wind carried a grain of Him to my entire being.

I had spent the day before, home from work...seeking Him. A session on Monday left me broken.  I was reliving poor choices from the past.  For over a week, James 1:8 was screaming at me.... "Their loyalty is divided between God and the world, and they are unstable in everything they do."

I wrote every passage that referenced TRUST- the word delivered by the Holy Spirit as I found myself on my knees.  I spent the better half of the morning pouring myself out to Him.

So, here I am... the day after.  This, The International Day of Prayer.

I will cling to His tree and I will lift my eyes to Him and hold onto His majestic, sovereignty and simply say...  NONE of me and the things of this world, dear Jesus...  ALL of you, instead.  It is not about my ability to feel anything.  It is about my ability to seek the hidden points of grace and to believe in the unspoken mercies.    Chris Tomlin's, "Countless Wonders,"  fills my soul with all that He is.   http://youtu.be/tlrF9LOcVf8


So, all my followers in Christ, LOOK to this:

Psalm 52: 8-9
8 But I am like an olive tree, thriving in the house of God. I will always trust in God's unfailing love.
9 I will praise you forever, O God, for what you have done. I will trust in your good name in the presence of your faithful people.

I would quit my job if I had the opportunity to minister His work in my life to others!  We all have a story.  Some have a journey.  I will stand transparent in all of my ugliness if one blemish of honesty and sincerity glorifies Him and consoles a sister in Christ.  I have no idea as to your story, but I can say this...  He is faithful and works every single ounce of life for our good.  Hugs to you!

8 comments:

  1. This is such a beautIful story, and picture! God bless you sweet girl! Coming from someone else that God encouraged through Lisa K this week, I just want to thank God for her right now!

    Melissa S OBS Group Leader

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what an amazing story. The words that you shared were so touching. I am so glad that you felt the Lord with you during this time. I hope that you will continue to allow God to work in your life and help you cling to the "more of thee and less of me" proclamation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Girl, thank you so much for this. I have truly been blessed by your story and your heart for God. This is a great take away for me. I have a challenging story but I try each day to do like you are. Ask for ALL of Him and NONE of me. I look forward to reading more of your posts. Thanks for being a great Sister in Christ!

    Love in Christ,

    Tristine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prayers for you, Tristine! The more you seek Him and His Holy Spirit in you, the more He will resonate in your life in a very real way! Hugs sweet sister in Christ!

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for having the courage to share this. I could sense your sincerity and your passion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful - Love, love, love Lisa Kramp! Debbie Williams (OBS Group Leader)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so honored! More than that, I am so grateful that God used my post to touch your life. To see Jesus in the storm. To seek His best for you in this moment, in this circumstance! Thank you for sharing this, for you passion in seeking God first! Love you sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, you are an AMAZING BLESSING and God looks beautiful on you!

      Delete

Please comment from the heart with the understanding that we are all a work in progress.